SimpleIndex gives you an affordable, automated way to populate custom metadata tags when migrating documents to SharePoint. SimpleIndex uses a variety of methods to extract data, including zone OCR, barcode recognition, mark recognition (OMR) and text pattern matching. The data is assigned to index fields that correspond to the custom columns in your SharePoint document library. The extracted values can be reviewed and corrected if necessary before uploading.
Uploading individual documents to SharePoint is easy. The hard part is migrating thousands of files and tagging them with custom metadata that can be used for fast, precise searching and sorting.
Without metadata, only the filename is used for searching scanned documents. OCR can be used to enable text searching of images, but there are several limitations to text searches:
- OCR cannot recognize any handwritten data
- Low quality scans or documents with complex layouts often OCR poorly
- OCR errors mean that you won’t always find all the files you are searching for
- Cannot perform date range or number range searches
- Cannot sort results by anything other than title and create/modified date
Advantages of the SimpleIndex SharePoint migration solution include:
- Complete document imaging solution as well as electronic document migration
- Advanced text pattern matching finds precise data in unstructured text
- Parse folder and file paths to find metadata values
- Unattended server processing mode available
- Easy yet powerful alternative to managed metadata services
- Far more features for the price than other SharePoint migration tools
SimpleIndex SharePoint Migration tool automatically identifies relevant metadata from document text and uploads processed documents to SharePoint with all custom field and column values populated. Works with all file types and SharePoint document libraries.
The problem was being caused by the fact that the root site on the server did not grant the users read access.
For example, imagine they are trying to upload to:
The user has full permissions on mysite, but if they try to access http://server/ they get permission denied. Even though the user can upload to mysite, they cannot upload with SimpleIndex because the client objects require permission on the root site.
Granting the users at least read access to the root site at http://server/ resolves the issue.
Any document processed with SimpleIndex can be uploaded directly to your SharePoint document library, and any custom columns or metadata tags can be set automatically using the SimpleIndex index field values. Find out more at our SharePoint Document Scanning page. Integrated custom metadata is only supported in SharePoint 2010 and above, including SharePoint Online / Office 365. Microsoft .NET 3.5 and the SharePoint 2010 Client Object Model are required and must be installed separately in version 7. Version 8 includes a download option in the Global Settings Wizard. Version 8.4 and above include them automatically. Version 7 users can Download the SharePoint 2010 Client Object Model here. To configure SharePoint export, go to the Advanced Options screen in your Job Options and enter the URL of your document library in the SharePoint Document Library URL setting. The easiest way to integrate with SimpleIndex is to simply map a network drive to the SharePoint document library and set you