SharePoint Document Scanning
SimpleIndex gives you an affordable, automated way to populate custom metadata tags when migrating documents to SharePoint. SimpleIndex uses a variety of methods to extract data, including zone OCR, barcode recognition, mark recognition (OMR) and text pattern matching. The data is assigned to index fields that correspond to the custom columns in your SharePoint document library. The extracted values can be reviewed and corrected if necessary before uploading.
Uploading individual documents to SharePoint is easy. The hard part is migrating thousands of files and tagging them with custom metadata that can be used for fast, precise searching and sorting.
Without metadata, only the filename is used for searching scanned documents. OCR can be used to enable text searching of images, but there are several limitations to text searches:
- OCR cannot recognize any handwritten data
- Low quality scans or documents with complex layouts often OCR poorly
- OCR errors mean that you won’t always find all the files you are searching for
- Cannot perform date range or number range searches
- Cannot sort results by anything other than title and create/modified date
Advantages of the SimpleIndex SharePoint migration solution include:
- Complete document imaging solution as well as electronic document migration
- Advanced text pattern matching finds precise data in unstructured text
- Parse folder and file paths to find metadata values
- Unattended server processing mode available
- Easy yet powerful alternative to managed metadata services
- Far more features for the price than other SharePoint migration tools