New Year, New SimpleIndex! Simple Software is proud to present the next major release of SimpleIndex – 10.0!
Version 10 is the biggest update to SimpleIndex in years. While there are several exciting new features, the most significant changes are under the hood. Legacy imaging components, software activation, ocr and bar code engines have all been upgraded to allow maximum performance and compatibility with all types of images, pdf files, virtualization and network security environments.
Version 10 of SimpleIndex is now available for download.
- Updated FineReader OCR Engine
FineReader Engine upgraded offering improved speed and multi-core processing for large documents, better accuracy for hard-to-read images, and support for a variety of new output formats.
- Atalasoft Bar Code Engine
Atalasoft Bar Code Recognition engine has been integrated to provide an alternative recognition for hard-to-read bar codes and support for additional bar code formats.
- New licensing platform
New software licensing platform offers more flexible license options, improved QOS, and fixes a number of issues caused by the previous licensing module.
- All supported OCR output types are enabled
FineReader OCR now supports output to Text (txt), PDF or PDF/A (pdf), Word (docx), Rich Text (rtf), Open Office (odt), Excel (xlsx), PowerPoint (pptx), ePub Zip (epub), FictionBook (fb2), HTML (htm), xml (xml), Alto XML (alto.xml)
- MRC compression for PDF files is enabled
FineReader MRC compression option is enabled for PDF files, providing significant reductions in file size for document images without loss of quality.
- Enhanced PDF/A + text processing
Support automatically processing of text layers for PDF/A formatted files.
- Viewer support for HEIF, TLA, PCD, PCX, TGA, EMF, PSD, JP2 and JPE formats
HEIF files used by iPhone can be viewed and processed. PhotoShop documents, JPEG 2000 and a variety of other formats are also supported.
- Output support for PNG, GIF, BMP, JPEG2000 file formats
Convert from any viewable file format to PNG, GIF, BMP, or JPEG2000, as well as tiff, PDF, PDF/A and JPEG.
- Keep existing file format option
Process files without conversion to a common output format, retaining the original file format and extension.
- PDF and Color Auto-Rotate
Auto-Rotate feature now works with color images and PDF files without having to convert to TIFF.
- Detect and move bad PDF files to Backup folder before processing
Invalid PDF files are a persistent issue due to transmission issues and non-standard PDF libraries. This feature automatically detects and removes these from the batch before processing to avoid processing errors.
- New fixed field options
Several new image, PDF and GPS properties added to list of fixed field options.
- Any image tag read into a Fixed field
Get the value from any valid EXIF, TIFF, File Property, IPTC, COM, GPS or Extended tag if present in the image file. Create a fixed field with %TAGNAME% to get the value from any valid tag if it is present.
- PDF Sorting Jobs
Sample jobs that highlight new fixed fields for PDF feature detection. Automatically separate PDF files by encryption status, PDF version, images versus text or the presence of form fields.
- Third autofill field option is added to wizard
Configure up to 3 lookup fields for Autofill to determine a unique record.
- Obsolete libraries have been removed
Several specific features used older libraries that have not been updated and cause increased compatibility issues. These features have all been replaced with modern libraries that are fully supported and regularly updated.
- imprinting is upgraded
Imprinting function has been re-implemented with new libraries providing faster processing and improved file format support.
- Support for Unicode input filenames
Import and export files with Unicode characters in the filename, not just in index field values.
- Support for Unicode in SimpleExport and BIF file output
XSLT format translations with SimpleExport now support Unicode characters.
- Ability to add or subtract numeric fixed fields
Add or subtract two or more numeric values and put the calculated result in an index field.
- Find and Replace options are enabled for all field types
Use the find and replace options to automatically correct any type of field, including fixed fields.
- Find and Replace list is easier to edit now
Improved UI for find and replace options making it easier to edit.
- Make Stopfile usage as a setting
Ability to disable multi-user lockout for improved performance and reduced errors when two users would never write to the same file.
- All job options are moved to wizard
The legacy job options screen has been removed and all features are now configured in the settings wizard. Scanning and compression settings have been moved from the Scan menu to the Wizard as well.
- Right-click option to Edit or Open without running a job
Open a job from its icon without automatically running it. Edit option is automatically added to all SIC files when you right-click.
- Selective enable editing of fixed and autofill fields
Configure fixed and autofill fields to be editable by the user without having to click “Edit Fixed Fields” menu option each time.
- Default database format is upgraded to .accdb
New job files that use the default database wizard will get the modern ACCDB format instead of the legacy MDB file, for improved performance and concurrency.
- Database field lists are refreshed automatically
Database field lists refresh automatically when editing a job without having to click the “Load” button.
- sql server autofill lookups with Unicode field values
Support for Unicode SQL Server autofill lookups using the N'value' format.
- Fixed service configuration and job scheduling options
Fixed issues with the Schedule Job screen that prevented adding scheduled tasks.
- File locks are ignored when moving files in update mode
If the source file is locked by another process, the file will be copied to the destination and the error ignored instead of failing to perform the update.
- Issues with printing PDF files from viewer are resolved
Fixed issues with printing PDF and other file formats from the viewer.
- Index Grid is hidden automatically when using Save All
Save All function is significantly slower when the grid is displayed since it gets updated after each file. Automatically hiding the grid ensures Save All always runs with optimal performance.
- simpleview ribbon bar is hidden by default
SimpleView ribbon toolbar is not needed for most applications so it is now hidden by default. Hover over any of the tabs to display the bar or double-click the tab to unhide it.
- Memory usage is improved for large format images
Reduce screen resolution for image display to avoid memory issues with very large images, such as engineering drawings.
- Ignore unprocessed files when processing subfolders
When using the Process Subfolder option, if there are files that are not processed due to input masks, these files will be skipped and processing will continue. In previous versions this could cause the job to get stuck on the folder that has the unprocessed files.
- Template tester in Wizard gives the same results as batch
OCR template tester in the Wizard will also apply the same replacement functions prior to matching that would be applied in a live batch, ensuring the test behavior is identical to production.
- Path not found on export when space at end of file or folder
Spaces were not being stripped from the end of folder names when they were generated using a Fixed field, resulting in a “Path not found” error on export. Spaces are now removed in all cases.
- SharePoint authentication is improved
Enhanced and optimized SharePoint authentication functions for greater compatibility with various Office 365 authentication configurations.
- Zones are shown on PDF files
Set OCR Zones function now works with any image file format, displaying the zone regions on the file in the viewer and letting the user redraw them on any image.
- Two Barcodes with the Same Value to Read
When an image has two barcodes with the same value, both values will be read and matched to the template separately instead of treating each unique value as one barcode.