A New Year and a New Release! Simple Software proudly announces the release of version 9.2 of our flagship scanning, indexing and capture solution SimpleIndex!
The biggest updates include a new Atalasoft bar code recognition engine, performance optimization for the SimpleView viewer, and the ability to import, view and export several new image file formats.
Here are the most notable changes in SimpleIndex 9.2:
- Atalasoft Barcode Engine has been added, providing an alternate method for reading bar codes that are not detected with the other engines, particularly broken Code 39 images that are missing the start/stop characters.
- SimpleView Viewer is optimized to render images and thumbnails at a lower resolution than the one used for processing, providing significant performance improvements and avoiding memory issues with very large files.
- New Image Formats are supported in new version. SimpleView viewer now supports PCX, TGA, WMF, EMF, PSD, WBMP, TLA, PCD image formats.
- Scanning, conversion and export to BMP, GIF and PNG added.
- Fast Import is added as setting in Wizard. This option disables reading file properties and sorting to improve the speed of importing files, especially from folders that have more than 1000 files.
- SharePoint export has improved performance by reducing redundant requests, support for various authentication types, and integration into the Processing Log for troubleshooting.
- IndexFontSize is a registry key that permits resizing the display font of index fields, useful for 4k displays.
- Tesseract OCR engine upgraded from 3.02 to 3.04.
- Smaller Download size and addition of new Tesseract language files to the Language Pack download.
- Localization Support in the settings wizard allows translation of user interface into other languages.
- Improved performance and stability for document exports.
- Plenty of bugs were caught and fixed.
Simple Software is happy to announce the latest version of our easy-to-use scanning and indexing flagship product. SimpleIndex 9.1 offers dramatic improvements to performance and reliability for anyone working with large, high-resolution images or files with hundreds of pages.
Here are some notable changes to make your automation OCR process even faster:
- Dramatic improvements to viewer performance, especially high-resolution color images
- Updated imaging components, improving performance and PDF compatibility
- Tesseract OCR upgraded from version 3.02 to 3.04
- Settable render resolution for thumbnails and images
- Improve keyboard navigation in viewer, including Tab to switch between File and Page navigation
- Unsupported PDF annotations no longer rendered as “Unknown Annotation”
- New fixed field value %CREATOR% that captures file creator/owner
Simple Software is pleased to announce the latest iteration of our easy-to-use scanning and indexing flagship product. This latest revision adds a host of new features both user-facing and behind-the-scenes.
- Additional language support for Tesseract OCR: includes Chinese, Arabic, Hindi and other languages. Installing the language pack will enable recognition in all available languages for Tesseract 3.02 Full list of supported languages.
- Automatic routing: documents with missing index fields directed to the Backup folder on export for manual review.
- PDF Forms Automation: Read data from filled in PDF forms and send it to a spreadsheet or database, or reverse the process and fill in blank forms with existing data.
- Integrated document separation: combines pages into multi-page documents without the need for a 2-step configuration.
- Automatic forwarding of a copy of the first page: from each exported file a first page is forwarded to a separate folder for data processing. Improves performance and reduces click charges for multi-page documents where data is only extracted from the first page.
- Image-based semi-transparent watermarking support: adding logos, trademarks or backgrounds for PDF files.
- Page Order Validation: read the page number from each page with OCR and compare it to the scanned page order. Automatically flags any pages where the page number doesn’t match the expected value, allowing the operator to make corrections before the document is saved.
- Double-Index Validation: compare the value of two fields during unattended processing and automatically route documents to exceptions when the values don’t match. Use for unattended page order validation, backup zonal OCR when a value appears multiple times on the page, or comparing documents to expected values from a database.
- Updated imaging components: improvements to image processing performance and compatibility.
- .NET platform upgrade from 4.0 to 4.5.2: As a result Windows XP is no longer supported. Please use previous versions of SimpleIndex
- Updated licensing process: Streamlined activation using installer, improving virtualization compatibility and prevent activation issues during major Windows updates. Removed page per year limits on Advanced Barcode Server license.
- Improved SharePoint performance: much faster uploads, automatically match metadata fields.
- Third Autofill key field: When you can’t match on just 2 fields.
Simple Software is pleased to announce the latest iteration of our easy-to-use scanning and indexing flagship product. SimpleIndex v8.4
This iteration is all about more flexibility with file types, both those coming in and what gets saved out.
- MS Office Files Available Directly in SimpleView SimpleIndex has always been able to handle Office files, but in past versions we had to load the particular office application into SimpleIndex‘s viewing window. That is no longer the case as SimpleView (both standalone and inside SimpleIndex) can display Office files. This gives you a faster workflow without having to call up the external apps and keeps a single interface for all the different Office formats.
Excel file displayed natively in SimpleView
- Support for JPEG 2000 Using a sophisticated encoding method, JPEG 2000 files can compress files with less loss of information. In addition, the file format is less likely to be affected by bit errors and other file system errors due to its more efficient coding structure.
- PDF Linearization Also known as Fast Web View, linearizing a pdf allows it to be displayed across an internet connection one page at a time versus the entire file having to be downloaded before it can be displayed. This saves time especially with large documents and is well suited to web-accessed document management systems.
- Improved Support for Office 365 Authentication Methods Particularly useful with SharePoint, this ability allows SimpleIndex to access online Office 365 shares without repeated login screens.
- Split Document by Selected Pages in SimpleView Multi-page documents can be broken apart on the fly for separate indexing while working through a batch.
Refining and expanding the enhancements of SimpleIndex v8.1, we’ve put more power in the hands of the user.
- Better selection controls
- Multiple matches on Autofill generates a selection window
- Lists can now cascade based on earlier selections
- List entries can be limited for improved performance
- Improved SharePoint Integration
- Better handling of custom column values
- Support for Managed Metadata columns
- Support for SharePoint Online w/ NTLM authentication
- SP Client is now installed automatically, removing a step from configuration
- Select the OCR Engine in the Wizard
- Standard (Tesseract) included in all editions
- Professional (FineReader) included in Enhanced OCR and Pro editions
- Switch between the two to find the most (cost) effective solution
- Updated Output Handling
- Corrupt or invalid pages are replaced with a placeholder instead of dropping them
- Documents can now be exported as database objects AND files
There are hundreds of changes, both big and small, in the version of SimpleIndex 8.0.
A few of the more notable changes are listed below:
Enhancements to Server, Export Top New Features List
Simple Software is pleased to announce the latest iteration of our
easy-to-use scanning and indexing flagship product. This latest revision
includes an enhanced server processing module with a web services interface, integrated export function with built-in templates for several popular document management solutions, and free versions of our Imaging Suite applications.
New Server Manager & Web Services Interface
The server configuration tool is much more intuitive and now
lets you monitor batch processing in real time. Similarly, the redesigned server module is faster, more reliable and uses fewer system resources.
The web service interface lets you submit job files on demand for processing on the server. This lets you run any job you want any time you want, provides tight integration with third party applications, and avoids having to configure each job in the manager.
New Integrated Export
We’ve integrated our SimpleExport functionality right into SimpleIndex and improved integration with web services and SharePoint. Templates for
several popular document management applications are included, and new templates can be developed quickly for a nominal charge. But the best part is that you no longer need to purchase a SimpleExport license to use custom exports!
SharePoint 2010 users can upload documents, organize folders and set custom field data directly from SimpleIndex. Users who have developed custom web services can have documents and data published directly to their website with HTTP POST and web services file uploads.
Other Enhancements in SimpleIndex 7.5
Current users will also notice background enhancements such as
improved handling with variations in TIFF, PDF, and JPEG files.
Likewise the ability to process on-the-fly during scanning has
been ramped up and if you work in virtual environments, there’s
enhanced support for VMWare.
A new Global Settings Wizard makes initial setup easier than ever,
and adds the option to associate SimpleIndex job files with the right-click menu in Windows Explorer. You can perform OCR operations on the clipboard or from screen shots, not just scanned pages. A new Long Text Editor lets you manually select, extract and format paragraphs of text. Like
using barcodes? Barcode accuracy has been improved and you can even extract specific characters from within a barcode value.
Because we have not upgraded licensed technologies like OCR and barcode recognition, we have been able to provide this update free of charge for any version 7 user regardless of annual maintenance!
Under the Hood
We’ve turned up the dial on the performance and added some behind-the-scenes enhancements that you have been asking for.
- New, faster imaging libraries with better support for variations in TIFF/PDF/JPEG formats
- New Regular Expressions implementation allows advanced features like look-ahead and look-behind
- Improved VMWare support
- Improved support for mouse wheel actions
- Improved on-the-fly processing during scanning
- Better barcode accuracy through improved barcode checksum support
Other New Features
From the moment you run SimpleIndex 7.5 for the first time, you’ll find new tools and options to help you get more done faster. The following lists all new features added since the 7.2 release.
- New Global Settings Wizard streamlines initial setup process
- Clipboard and screen shot OCR captures data from application screens
- Multi-crop lets you draw several zones on the page and
extract them to separate files automatically
- Display converted index log report after batch with
clickable links to exported files
- Process any folder with any SimpleIndex job by
right-clicking the folder in Windows Explorer
- Pages are displayed while rescanning or scanning to a single file
- Extract characters from a barcode using %[start,length]% in template
- Simplified compression options screen
- Insert files into batch
- Long text editor for capturing large blocks of text; quickly
copy/paste and reformat text from searchable PDFs
- Add new records to database when no match is found on export
- Sort input by modified date instead of filename
- Test Barcodes option reads all barcodes on the page and
gives coordinates, type and other stats
- Find in Lists option helps you find values in a long list
when you don’t know the starting characters
Improved Integration with Servers and Databases
From launching jobs via the web to saving index data directly in a DMS friendly format, SimpleIndex 7.5 steps it up from start to finish.
- SimpleExport functions integrated directly into SimpleIndex;
output index data to any XML/HTML/Text format
- New server configuration tool is more intuitive and lets you
monitor batch processing in real time
- Redesigned server module is faster, more reliable and uses
fewer system resources
- Web service interface lets you remotely control server
- HTTP Post file upload support for integration with custom
- SharePoint 2010 integration — export images and index data
to document libraries
Simple Software is pleased to announce the latest iteration of our
easy-to-use scanning and indexing flagship product. This latest revision
adds a host of new features both user-facing and behind-the-scenes.
Introducing SimpleIndex 7.4
Current users will notice background enhancments such as improved handling with variations in TIFF, PDF, and JPEG files. Likewise the ability to process on-the-fly during scanning has been ramped up and if you work in virtual environments, there’s enhanced support for VMWare.
The improvements don’t stop under the hood. Users will notice a new Global Settings Wizard that ensures everything is in place before you get to work. You can perform OCR operations on the clipboard or from screen shots, not just scanned pages and if you need to touch up an OCR capture, there is now a long text editor that lets you type or copy/paste at length. Like using barcodes? Barcode accuracy has been improved and you can even extract specific characters from within a barcode value.
And those of you that integrate SimpleIndex with backend server or
database systems, we haven’t forgotten you. The new server configuration
tool is more intuitive and lets you monitor batch processing in real time.
Similarly, the redesigned server module is faster, more reliable and uses
fewer system resources. There’s even a web service interface so all of this
can be controlled remotely. We’ve even integrated our SimpleExport functionality right into SimpleIndex and added the ability to export images
and index data right to a SharePoint 2010 library.