Process Monitor/ProcMon Instructions
In some cases there will be errors with SimpleIndex or issues without errors that are too general to get the information needed to fix the issue easily. When this happens a very detailed log is needed to determine what exact processes are occurring when the issue happens and which processes are failing. This is done by using the Microsoft Process Monitor to log everything while running SimpleIndex.
The instructions for how to install and run the Process Monitor are below.
- Download the process monitor from Microsoft by clicking HERE and then clicking Download Process Monitor.
- Unzip the “ProcessMonitor.zip” file and save it to any location on the computer running SimpleIndex.
- Run the “Procmon.exe”
- Once the program opens go to the File Menu and uncheck “Capture Events”
- Go to the Edit menu and select “Clear Display”
- Go to the File Menu and check “Capture Events”
- Immediately run SimpleIndex with the process that is having the issue exactly as you normally would and let it run until the issue occurs.
- Once the issue occurs go back to the Process Monitor window and then to the File Menu and uncheck “Capture Events”
- Go to the File Menu and select save.
- Use all the defaults to save to a folder that you can easily access and name the file with today’s date.
- Send us this file for review.