Bar Code Recognition
Barcode recognition is the most efficient way to capture index data printed on documents.
Some documents already have key information in barcode format on them.
If your project is to scan new documents on an ongoing basis, it may be possible for you to redesign the forms to include barcodes.
Having a barcode with index data on the document is the best case scenario for scanning, since all the index data is on the document at the time it is created in a format that can be read with near 100% accuracy.
If it is not possible to print barcodes on the document itself, an alternative is to have the person who creates the document print a barcode cover page and place it on the file before it is scanned. The SimpleCoversheet application was designed to make this easy by providing a simple interface for selecting index values and printing a standard coversheet that contains these values in barcode format.
Barcodes can also be used for document separation when combined with the Autonumber field. Inserting a generic bar code page between documents in a backfile conversion is a common way to automatically group pages into documents when scanning.
Template and Dictionary matching are recommended to ensure that the correct bar code value is mapped to the correct index field. Bar codes can be read in any order on documents, and incorrect page rotation can make zones ineffective. Documents may also have unwanted bar codes on them, especially if they are generated by multiple third parties.
Bar code recognition with the DTK and Atalasoft engines are included with all versions of SimpleIndex.
The Pegasus/Accusoft engine is included with a Barcode or Professional license.
For server processing, the Advanced Barcode Recognition add-on is required to enable Pegasus/Accusoft. This provides the fastest and most accurate bar code recognition and removes annual page count limits on bar codes.
SimpleIndex Barcode Recognition Demo Video
Video was recorded in a previous version of SimpleIndex. Refer to the wiki documentation for latest updates.
Related Knowledge Base Articles
- Turn On Replacement Characters for Barcodes
- What are some other terms for Bar Code Scanning Software?
- Can SimpleIndex read bar codes from existing PDF files?
- I cannot recognize PDF417 or QR Code bar codes. What does “Advanced “Only” mean?
- Can I split TIFF or PDF files based on barcodes as a separator and also name the file with the barcode value?
- Is there a way to just use part of a bar code or OCR value? For example, extract “50” from the value “124450”
- How can I delete the barcode or blank page cover/separator sheet that I don’t need to save?
- How can I use barcodes or blank pages as Document Separators.
- Why are my barcodes not being recognized properly?